Logo descriptions by Lee Cremeans, Sean Beard, James Fabiano, and Matt Williams
Logo captures by Eric S., V of Doom, EnormousRat, and snelfu
Editions by Shadeed A. Kelly, mr3urious, and thehugetvfan
Video captures courtesy of MachineryNoise, mcydodge919, and English1stud
Turner Program Services was established in 1982 as the syndication arm of Turner Broadcasting System. It was best known for Captain Planet and some of its game shows, as well as distributing The Wonder Years, Hanna-Barbera's programming when Turner purchased the animation studio in 1991, and all material by Turner Entertainment Co. Upon Time Warner's purchase of the Turner properties on October 10, 1996, the unit was folded into Telepictures Productions, reincorporating under the name of "Telepictures Distribution", which eventually folded into "Warner Bros. Television Distribution" in 2003.
Nicknames: "TPS", "Rainbow-Fill", "Rainbow TPS", "Flashing TPS Rainbow of Doom"
- Opening: On the black background, two trails of rainbow colors slides in, slowly, toward each other, from the left and right sides respectivily. You can barely make out a "TPS" logo in each. When they coverged, a blue burst of light shines, and when that clears a rainbow-colored "TPS" remains. Below that, the word
"Turner Program Services presents"
flashes in the small, yellow bursts of light, one by one. The whole thing disappears afterwards.
- Closing: Very similiar to the opening variant, but the whole thing disappears early after "Services" flashes in.
Closimg variant: Sometimes , "TPS" is already formed and it has the text:
TURNER PROGRAM SERVICES, INC.
FX/SFX: Merging colors, the burst of light, and appearing logo. Typical Scanimate effects. None for the still version.
- Opening: A dreamy, synthesized tune with "shining" sound effects and 4 notes at the end for the words that go "down-up-down-up". Very similar to the LBS "pan-out" logo. Seen on the syndicated version of the colorized version of Gunda Din and on Hans Christian Andersen's The Wild Swans.
- Cloaing: Very similiar to the opening, except it ends early without playing the fourth note. Seen on the first three seasons of Captain Planet and the Planeteers on Boomerang, until Bommerang got its rebrand.
Availability: Rare. Seen on the above mentioned.
- Animated: Low to nightmare. It depends on what you think of the low-budget rainbow fill and prism effects. The scare factor is likely lower for those who are used to seeing it.
- Still: None.
Nickname: "Silver Letters"
Logo: On a shaded gray screen, the word "TURNER" (in white) swings downward into place. Under it, it is the line above the words "PROGRAM SERVICES" which appears. The logo shines when it's formed.
Variant: On The Wonder Years, the logo is already formed and shining. On some episodes of the said show and in the early 90s syndicated prints of The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones, it was slowed down, along with its music.
FX/SFX: The swinging "TURNER", the shining logo, "PROGRAM SERVICES" fading in.
Music/Sounds: The shortened version of Al Capps' "Straight from the Heart" from Killer Tracks. A three-note mellow orchestra tune ending with a "ping" sound. May also have the end theme playing over it.
- Sometimes, the closing theme plays over.
- There is a variant that has the music slowed down, making the logo last a bit longer.
Availability: Uncommon. Last seen on The Wonder Years on The Hub and currently seen on season 3 of The Adventures of Captain Planet, three episodes of SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron, and 2 Stupid Dogs on Boomerang, until Bommerang have its rebrand. Local re-runs of classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons in the early 90s, such as reruns of Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines, had this logo as well.
Scare Factor: None.
Nickname: "Globe Logo & Turning Letters"
Logo: On a white background is a black "Turner" logo (as seen in the globe logo). Underneath, a gold line is drawn and under that, letter by letter, the words "PROGRAM SERVICES" quickly unfold (also in black).
Variant: A variant was shown on a gray gradient BG and had "PROGRAM SERVICES" in white and the Turner logo appearing first, with the Turner logo's text shimmering afterward. This seen on TV broadcasts of Scooby-Doo in Arabian Nights.
FX/SFX: Line and words appearing.
- Long: Just an uninspired synth tune using a pound followed by 11 notes playing the theme with a pound on the 11th note with a drum hitting followed by three drim beats and the shimmering noises.
- Short: Very similiar to the previous music, but ends early after the 11th note played.
Music/Sounds Variant: Sometimes, the closing theme plays over it.
Availability: Uncommon. It currently appears on the final two seasons of The New Adventures of Captain Planet and the final two episodes of SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron on Boomerang, until its rebrand.
Scare Factor: None.