DNA Productions is an animation company founded in 1987 by John A. Davis and Keith Alcorn. One of the most successful projects was Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius and its animated spin-off series on Nickelodeon. The production company closed down in 2006, after the release of The Ant Bully, which was a box office flop during its theatrical run. Many of its employees went to work for Reel FX Creative Studios, while others went to O Entertainment and founded its animation division, Omation.
1st Logo (1992-1994)
Logo: On a white background, on the rectangle are the grayscaled pictures of the three people (two of which is founders John A. Davis & Keith Alcorn) with vivid expressions on their faces. Copyright info is seen under the rectangle.
Variants: Two shorts from 1994 had the wobbling text depending on what short:
- One short has it after Lil' Puss Puss' head explodes and had his blood covering Nana in the process as she shrugs nonchalantly.
- Another has it in a static image of Puss Puss holding up Nana's disembodied head and presents it with his other hand as he smiles.
FX/SFX: The text wobbling.
Music/Sounds:The end theme of the short.
Availability: Seen on Nana and Lil' Puss Puss.
- Low to medium for the original two logos. It appears jarringly, and the end music, the faces, and the mere surprise of seeing this instead of the other DNA logos might get to some. None to minimal for those used to seeing this, or find it be funny. The Off the Record variant can catch those off-guard.
- The later variants could range from low to nightmare. The somewhat grotesque cartoon animation might unnerve many, specially those uncomfortable with the sight of blood. The static image variant is worse; the disembodied head, the expression on Nana's face, the blood on the floor, the somewhat evil grin on Puss Puss, and the excessive detail can definitely give people nightmares, even if it's on a white background, although it's lower and can be considered funny to those who are used to the short's morbid content.
2nd Logo (1994-2000)
Nickname: "The Purple Cat Scientist"
Logo: On the black background, inside a red-orange circle, we see a purple creature with two tails looking like DNA and wearing a white lab coat with a purple bowtie on it, somewhat resembling a cat, with his back turned to us. In a circle around the circle containing the creature, we see the pink text "DNA PRODUCTIONS INC." in an odd, hard-to-describe font. He then turns his head to look at us, and jumps to face us while holding his arms out. The text shines.
FX/SFX: The cat turning around and jumping, the text shining.
Music/Sounds: A weird noise resembling high-pitched laughter, then a rising cartoony bubble sound.
Availability: Seen on videos of the obscure series Jingaroo and the 1998 Jimmy Neutron pilot "Runaway Rocketboy", which can be found on its VHS release and a special feature on the DVD release of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Confusion Fusion.
Scare Factor: Low to medium. The weird noises might catch you off guard, and the cat isn't exactly friendly looking.
3rd Logo (2000-2012)
Nicknames: "Hi, I'm Paul!", "DNA Monkey", "Paul, the Three-Eyed Monkey", "Paul", "3 Eyed Monkey", "Monkey"
Logo: On a tropical background complete with a beach, and a sunset, we see the black, lowercase text "d n a productions" with "d n a" bigger and spaced and "productions" underneath, near the top of the screen, and 2 double helix coconut trees twisting behind a bush. A monkey jumps up from behind the trees with his back turned to us. Then, he turns around, revealing that he has a parietal eye, and waves at us, saying "Hi, I'm Paul!"
Variants: There are six variants, they can be viewed on original airings (But not on later reruns and home media) and on dnahelix.com:
- Double Your Pleasure: Two Pauls appear and say "Hi, we're Paul!" It appears on "The Junkman's Cometh".
- Bi-Lingual Paul: Paul is wearing a hat and a mustache, when he turns around, he speaks Spanish. His mustache falls off. It appears on "The Mighty Wheezers"/"Billion Dollar Boy".
- Backwards Masking Paul: The logo is played in reverse, making Paul sounding like he's saying "Oh, my eye!". It appears on "Foul Bull"/"The Science Fair Affair".
- Paul Blooper #1: Paul forgets his lines, and says "So what do you want me to say now?" It appears on "Attack of the Twonkies".
- Paul Blooper #2: Paul forgets his lines again, and says "Hi, I'm.....lines?"
- Coffee Break Paul: Paul is missing. A man off-screen says softly, "Paul?". It appears on "Men at Work".
Trivia: The logo's mascot is named after Paul Claerhout, one of DNA's first three employees.
FX/SFX: The spinning trees, and Paul jumping up and waving to us, all in gorgeous CGI animation.
Music/Sounds: A happy tropical xylophone sounder (featured as a tool in Kid Pix, the finishing sound in ImgBurn and DVD Decryptor, and from the Sound Ideas Series 6000 sound effects library). Paul's voice is an innocent, high-pitched man's voice.
Availability: Uncommon to rare; appeared on The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Most episodes, including reruns of all episodes), including its The Jimmy Timmy Power Hour trilogy. It is unknown where the blooper 2 Paul is found on.
- Normal/Paul Blooper #1 & #2: None to minimal, due to Paul having 3 eyes.
- Double Your Pleasure: None to low, due to both Pauls having 3 eyes.
- Bi-Lingual Paul: None to low. It might surprise you because of Paul (Still has 3 eyes) having the mustache with him.
- Backwards Masking Paul: Minimal, due to Paul (Still has 3 eyes) staring suddenly at the beginning.
- Coffee Break Paul: None, since there's no Paul.