Logo descriptions by Shadeed A. Kelly
Logo captures by V of Doom, Shadeed A. Kelly, Eric S., Wisp2007, and Gilblitz112
Editions by Shadeed A. Kelly
Video captures courtesy of TVpresentation, JohnnyL80, T1mmyDHr3t2, PluMGMK and EnormousRat
Buena Vista International Television was the international distribution arm of Walt Disney Television established in 1985 to produce non-USA series and distribute all Disney-owned libraries around the world. In 2007, this division was renamed to "Disney-ABC International Television" after Disney retired the "Buena Vista" brand. It was renamed again in 2011 to "Disney Media Distribution".
Logo: On a blue background, we see a small yellow logo of the segmented Sleeping Beauty Castle (from the 1985 Walt Disney Pictures logo). Underneath it are the large words "Buena Vista International Television".
Music/Sounds: The end theme of the program.
Availability: Extremely rare. Spotted on a Thames television airing of Roger Rabbit & the Secrets of Toontown, as well as 1980s Polish prints of Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers.
Scare Factor: None.
Nickname: "Rainbow Castle"
Logo: Same as the 1985 Walt Disney Television and Buena Vista Television logos, but it reads "Distributed By Buena Vista International, Inc." underneath the castle.
- The gradient background may be black/blue, black/indigo, or black/violet.
- There is a copyright stamp sometimes seen under the logo.
- 1987-1996 versions of this logo have the text slightly curved and in a slightly different font. The word "by" isn't capitalized in this version.
- A 16:9 widescreen version exists.
- Two very rare variants exist, in which the text is in a different font. Also, the word "Inc." is gone in these variants. These versions were used in 1992 and 1996, respectively.
- Another ultra-rare variant exists on Stick with Me, Kid. After a computer-generated turn-around that changes from the 1994 Buena Vista Productions logo to the BVI logo, also in bolder text, but animates as normal. Below the next part is a copyright notice for The Walt Disney Company.
- The BVI text is also bold on Дисней Клуб (the Russian version of Disney Club), but the background is purple, both logos are animated and not divided into parts and the logos animate as normal.
FX/SFX: The spark flying, the text fading. Other times, it's a still logo.
Music/Sounds: Same as Walt Disney Television and/or Buena Vista Television logos or none.
Availability: Seen on most DVD releases of The Golden Girls, all releases of Home Improvement, and still seen internationally on Disney-owned programs and movies. It can also be found on the Goof Troop episodes "Max-imum Protection" and "Goofin' Hood and His Melancholy Men" on the Goof Troop: Volume 1 DVD set.
Scare Factor: Low with the chimes theme and none for the silent version.
Nickname: "Blue Castle"
Logo: Same as the Walt Disney Television and Walt Disney Television Animation logos. The logo reads either "WALT DiSNEY TELEVISION" or "WALT DiSNEY TELEVISION ANIMATION" and later fades to the name "Distributed By Buena Vista International, Inc." Other times, the name just fades in with the usual circular line animation drawn over the castle.
Variant: In an alternate variant, the logo was also referred to as "BUENA VISTA INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION" with the byline "Servicing the Distribution of this Programme", on a blue background while the spark flies over the castle a little slower. Sometimes, the text will be a little smaller and the castle a little bigger (while the byline and text are also close together).
FX/SFX: The name fading and the spark animating. Other times it's a still logo.
Music/Sounds: The long 1988 Walt Disney Television theme, the finishing of any end title theme from any show, or none.
Availability: Common, still seen on international prints of any Disney, Touchstone, ABC, and Buena Vista Television shows and Disney-owned movies on cable networks like Showtime and SundanceTV. Can also be seen on DVD releases such as season two of The Golden Girls. This made a surprise appearance on a SundanceTV airing of the My So-Called Life episode "Life of Brian".
Scare Factor: Low with the theme and none for the silent version.
Nicknames: "The Turning 2-D Castle", "The White Castle"
Logo: On a purple water-like background, we see a 2-D Walt Disney castle turning from right to center while white lights shines up on the logo. Turning with the castle we see the stacked words, "BUENA VISTA INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION" in Times New Roman underneath the castle with "BUENA VISTA" bigger and a Disney copyright stamp underneath. Above the castle has the phrases "Distributed by" or "Servicing (the) distribution of this programme" in Arial font.
FX/SFX: The castle fading in and turning.
Music/Sounds: The finishing of the 1988 Walt Disney Television long version theme. In other cases, it's silent, or the ending theme of the show.
- One episode of Dirt on international airings use the music of the 5th FX Networks logo music due to a reverse plaster error.
- On current prints of the TV movie Model Behavior, the short Walt Disney Television music is heard due to plastering the 1986 WDT and 1995 WDT/BVI logos.
Availability: Uncommon. It's seen on some international shows such as Polish airings of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, early episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and polish airings of older Disney cartoons which plastered the previous 2 logos. This also plastered the Touchstone Pictures and Amblin Entertainment logos on a Christmas Eve airing of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on BBC 2 a few years back. The silent version has appeared on an HBO print of She's All That.
Scare Factor: None.